Certification & Registration Process - Time and Cost
As you prepare for the certification and registration process, it is important to note the following:
It can take several months to more than 1 year to become certified and registered. (The average length of time to complete the entire process is 18 months to 2 years)
- Documents required for application can take weeks or months to obtain
- CSMLS Prior Learning Assessment Report takes 4 to 8 weeks after all the documents have been received.
- CSMLS PLA cost is a non-refundable fee of $1760 CDN
- Credential Evaluation cost is paid to WES ICAP (With ICAP you can request verified copies of your transcripts be sent to CSMLS) Course-by-Course $245, WES Basic Course-by-Course $210 or ICES Comprehensive $225
- An English or French language proficiency test is required If you did not receive your training in either of Canada's two official languages (English or French). Fees are $160-$320 depending on the test selected.
- Gap training courses that you may be required to complete cost $400-$600 per course and are generally delivered through distance education (on-line).
The CSMLS National Certification Examination is given three times per year (February, June, October). You may have to wait months before you can take the next scheduled examination.
Fees for Examination:
If you do not pass the examination the first time, you will have to re-write the examination and may also be required to complete extra education. You are allowed two consecutive attempts to pass the examination before you will be required to complete refresher courses. If you are required to complete extra education, you must pay for books and courses in addition to the cost of re-writing the examination.
There are several fees in the CMLTM certification process:
- There is a first time application processing fee of $100.
- There is an annual registration fee. The current (2017) annual fee for registration is $450. If you apply after June 1st in any year, one half of the annual fee will be waived (first time applicants only).
The forms must be mailed to or delivered to the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Manitoba (CMLTM) office (245 Lilac Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3M 2S2).
Please use the "Document Checklist for CMLTM Registration" as a guide to prepare the documents required.